The Making Of A Free Man


In high school I became disillusioned with society and the system it had created for how we were to live our lives.  I knew what society expected and how it functioned, but I preferred a different life.  Well, I was a teenager after all.  I wanted to be free and live a simple life without rules.  I spent a lot of time thinking and learning about things.  I enjoyed having existential discussions and learning about foreign cultures and other ways of looking at the world.

During college I was exposed to new exciting ideas and people, but still felt disenfranchised.  At the end of my second semester I read Hermann Hesse's book, Siddhartha.  The effect was very powerful at the time.  It was all I could do to even make it to my final exams, though I did well as always.  That would be my last semester of studying for a while.  At least in a classroom.

That summer I went on a road trip out west with my high school friends.  Things felt right.  I spent the rest of the summer living in a campground with my college roommate.  That was pretty awesome.  It was real freedom.  I didn't go back to school in the fall and then at the end of the year I made another significant decision.

I went on another road trip.  Then I kept on going.  With new friends, I lived on the road and in the woods for the next three years.  I hitchhiked all across the country.  I lived in the desert and the rain forest.  I lived in vans and a school bus.  I cooked, ate, and gave away free food.  I lived almost entirely without money.  Then, with my friends all separating to the wind, having no direction or purpose, I decided to go back home.  I didn't want to need to live like this when I was old and had no options.  I was free, but having no money left me quite insecure.

Back home, I still didn't know what I would do, but anything was better than nothing.  Having purpose is important.  I got a temp job and started studying the martial art, Aikido.  I found that I did enjoy learning (formally).  I decided to go to community college just to learn.  I studied whatever I wanted, including languages I didn't think I could learn -Japanese- and got 4.0's.  I discovered that a bachelor degree would allow me to go overseas and teach English.  So, I resolved to go back to university and finish my undergrad degree.

After college I decided to go to Taiwan and teach English.  At the job I found, I worked about 20 hours per week mostly in the afternoons and evenings.  It was a good job though difficult at times.  It wasn't a bad life.  When I needed to make a return trip to the US, I discovered that my job wasn't that secure.  Being a foreigner presented some barriers to making a life working there.  I had more money, but was less free.

After returning home again, I decided to stay in the US and find a job that I could settle into a bit more.  Maybe I could work for a while and save some money for my future.  It took a long time to find a job.  I was looking in a specific field where experience was important and I didn't have much.  I did eventually find a job and I moved after just a phone interview with no idea what sort of place I would be working at.  I started saving in retirement accounts.  My hourly rate was not that different from my job in Taiwan, but I worked twice as much and could get overtime too.  Overtime was actually required.  At some point I had the idea that I could work 'til around 40 saving money the whole time.  Life was hell though.  Where was my freedom?  I needed more of my time back.  Money is useless without time.  I looked for another job.

I found my next job not far away in the same region.  The pay was lower, but I had more free time compared to my last job.  I also felt my job was more meaningful.  There were several parts of it that I thoroughly enjoyed.  But, I still spent the majority of my time at work or preparing for work.  For me, that was too much.  And 40 years old was a lonnnggg time away.  How much life would I waste just waiting for 40?  And would I leave and wander the world at 40?  That sounded old.  I wondered if I should set a financial milestone instead of a random age.  Maybe I didn't need as much money as I was thinking.  So I continued saving in tax advantaged retirement accounts.  Then about four years into my full-time work life, one year before I left my job, I had The (Financial) Epiphany.