Nothing But Net

I think the internet needs to be considered a basic survival necessity.  Food, water, and internet.  I'll give up housing as long as I have a stable internet connection.

For the first several weeks in Penang I managed to connect to the internet through different public wifi spots.  I also paid to use a computer at an internet cafe several times.  But, these options didn't offer the anytime, anywhere aspect I like about the internet.  The wifi connections were spotty at best and I didn't feel like walking a half mile all the time internet cafe.  That left me with a lot more offline time than online.  I was also concerned about security.  I didn't want to visit my financial accounts through either of those methods.

At the internet cafe I used a portable version of Chrome along with Lastpass, so I wouldn't have to enter my email/whatever accounts' passwords.  And my browsing information would be stored on my flash drive instead of the public computers.  They seemed to have a lot of anti-virus software on their computers so maybe my information was safe, but it didn't solve the convenience issue.  And regardless whether it was safe or not I didn't feel it was safe enough to open my financial accounts or file my taxes from there.  Having to pay for the internet on a per use basis was also uncomfortable.  I prefer to pay a lump sum all at once and not have to worry about paying each time.  Even if it means I end up paying more.  The internet cafe I used charged RM2 per hour which was not a bad price, but not the cheapest in Penang.

So after a lot of debating and financial calculations and trying to factor in the value of feeling safe, I ended up purchasing a usb mobile internet dongle.  I can connect to 2g and 3g mobile internet with the device.  In Malaysia they use the term "broadband" to refer specifically to mobile internet like this.  One concern I had prior to purchase was whether or not the device would even work with my operating system, Ubuntu.  Luckily it works fine.  I bought the dongle from Maxis, which was recommended to me.  You can buy a pre-paid or post-paid version.  I got the pre-paid version.  In the package you get the usb dongle and a sim card that will allow you to connect to the internet for 4 days with a 2gb data limit.  Once either one of those expire you need to "top up."  The pre-paid package costs RM138.  It costs different amounts to get more days or data allowance depending on what you prefer.

I might have been able to get by with the internet connections I was managing before, but it didn't let me get on the blog when I wanted, for example.  I can only blog or email or whatever when I have the energy to do it.  Having constant access is important for that reason.

I also did a test run of my tax return and looked at my financial accounts without worrying.  If I go somewhere else I don't have to worry about finding a wifi connection either.  I just need a wireless signal.  This stable internet connection has also allowed me to start using Google Voice to make calls to people in the US for free.  The sound quality isn't great, but it's good enough.  So that's a positive improvement.

The thing I don't like about having a full-time internet connection is it gives me something to do besides go out and see Penang.