Country Profiles

A key part of my strategy to avoid paid work for as long as possible is to move overseas.  I think moving overseas will help with that because if I choose the correct location I could really get my cost of living down.  But the other, more important, aspect is that I'll have the opportunity to really connect with, learn from, and enjoy different ways of life.  To experience other cultures first hand.

So I thought I should write out some of my observations on potential countries to move to where I might be able to do that.  I'll be looking for low cost of living, low hassle, and a high chance of health.

Low cost of living would include:
  • Affordable and comfortable housing with cheap utilities
  • Housing includes a kitchen for home cooking
  • Affordable Internet connection/Internet cafes
  • Affordable groceries/outside food
  • Easy and safe walking/biking and/or cheap and convenient public transportation
  • Affordable health care
  • No/low "gringo tax"
  • Affordable visa procedures
  • I guess to make it meaningful I need to say that living expenses need to be below USD 400 per month including one time and annual expenses.
Low hassle would include:
  • Uncomplicated visa procedures
  • Housing with flexible rental terms
  • Housing is independent with own bathroom
  • Easy to connect with outside world
  • Easy to get around/find what I need
  • Locals understand English/speak a language I (want to) know
  • Not much chance getting robbed/shot/arrested by government
  • Vegetarian friendly
  • Legal ways to make money/investment options
  • Easy access to ATMs/can open bank accounts
  • Easy to understand and prepare before going
High chance of health would include:
  • Not too many deadly viruses
  • Vaccines/cures available for local illnesses
  • Low pollution
  • Low noise level
  • Close to nature
  • Few animals trying to kill me
  • Not much chance getting shot
  • Good healthcare available locally
I want to get to know more of the world so I plan to move around every so often.  That should provide me the incentive to continue examining new countries and creating new country profiles.